Apache's activity in Egypt began in 1994 with our first Qarun discovery well. Our partnership with Sinopec controls 9.7 million gross acres, the largest acreage holdings in Egypt’s Western Desert in 2013. Only 18 percent of the gross acreage in Egypt has been developed, with gross production of 213,000 barrels per day (Bpd) and 900 million cubic feet per day (MMcfd) in 2012, or 100,000 Bpd and 354 MMcfd net to Apache. The remaining 82 percent of the acreage is undeveloped, providing considerable exploration and development opportunities for the future. In 2012, the region contributed 27 percent of Apache’s worldwide production revenue, 20 percent of our worldwide production, and 10 percent of our year-end 2012 estimated proved reserves.
Historically, growth in Egypt has been driven by an ongoing drilling program, and we are one of the most active drillers in the region. Throughout 2012, we averaged running 25 rigs and drilled 188 development and injection wells and 51 exploration wells. Approximately 55 percent of our exploration wells were successful, further expanding our presence in the westernmost concessions and unlocking additional opportunities in existing plays. A key component of the region’s success has been our ability to acquire and evaluate 3-D seismic surveys that enable the region’s technical teams to consistently high-grade existing prospects and identify new targets across multiple pay horizons in the Cretaceous, Jurassic, and deeper Paleozoic reservoirs.
The region continued an active drilling program in 2013 with plans to invest approximately $1.1 billion for drilling, recompletion projects, development projects, and seismic acquisition. There are also several key infrastructure projects underway that will focus on maintaining gas deliverability and bringing additional liquids to market.